
So..as I'm driving with the kiddos today they start asking me why there are men holding signs on the corners.
We've seen them many times, and they've asked, and I've answered "He just needs a little help". A sign we saw last week, when coming off of 26, was held by a woman that simply said "I Need a Miracle". Caleb asked what that sign said and then what it meant. I told him that she was sad and needed help.
How do you respond to little ones about this? I don't know the right words to say and how to have a "Christian" response to these situations. Any ideas????
2 comments:
My kids are older, so we tell them a little different version now, but when they were younger we said just what you said, that these people are sad and are wanting help and there are places they can go to get that help, but they choose not to.
They now recognize the difference between the 20 year old guy with a dog, and an elderly man who has lost a limb... Does that sound cold?
I used to do this, but have lately (several years lately) been out of the habit. Learned it when I lived in downtown Wash., D.C. in the 80's and passed many homeless people as I walked to work. Buy fast food coupons/gift cards - usually try to have one that I know is close to the exit so they could walk to it, and give them out when I can. Probably can't do it every time, but even if they could go get help, it is still an example of "you fed me when I was hungry" ...and addicted, etc.
Thanks, Laura. A good reminder to think about this again.
Amy
Post a Comment