Sunday, February 3, 2008

From the Outside Looking In

So...I've spent the last 2 weekends doing something I love. Realized it's been 5 years since I did this for my "real job" and honestly, I miss it. I was privileged to lead worship the past 2 weekends in the absence of Jay. I truly feel honored to even be asked to do this on an occasional basis.

Here is what I've realized over the last 3 weeks:

** God is so worthy of our worship...not just on Sunday (okay, I knew this before)
** I have never played/sung with such talented musicians since coming to Sunset. I'm spoiled now...we can never leave I guess!
** I have an amazing husband who know what makes me tick and supports me in anything worship related
** It's a bummer I had to miss the Women's Retreat this weekend
** It's also a bummer I had to turn down my invite to sing the national anthem at the Super Bowl...had to lead this weekend at Sunset (oh wait..that really didn't happen)
** I could sing "My Desire" every day of the week for a year and not get sick of it
** I don't miss
having to be at church and be "on" every weekend (for 5 years straight)
** I miss playing piano and singing together
** I like leading...it doesn't make me nervous (I really hope this isn't a control issue...I just truly enjoy leading people into worship)
** It's much easier to sing & play with people who you've developed relationships with
** It's so much harder to be the real worship pastor... I didn't have to deal with the day to day stuff...
** I find it very hard to read the congregation...there are things I thought were powerful and those that flopped...seems like every time I get positive feedback on the things that I thought flopped...just goes to show you never know what part of any service is reaching individual people
** Bob Thomas is a professional...he should be on tour
** Travis thinks I could only sing the national anthem for the Portland City Rollers (roller derby)..Thanks Trav, I feel the love
** One2One is a powerful group of talented people who forgo their own desires and wishes to sing as a group and worship together. They are just good folk!
** I crave feedback...I always want to be getting better and better at worship leading (I even like the bad stuff)
** The tech arts staff & volunteers are an amazing bunch...it would all fall apart w/o them
** Maybe someday when my kids are grown I can go back to this as a profession, but for now I like helping out where I'm needed and standing in the gap if I can
** I am honored to just stand in the presence of our Holy God...can't believe I get to help others do the same!

Kind of a jumbled list, but it was fun to sit down and rehash what I had taken from the past 2 weeks.


"There's not much I can do to repay all You've done, so I give my hands to use...This is my desire, this is my return. This is my desire, to be used by You"

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Worship was wonderful.. thanks for leading with your heart. I wish I could've been around for all of it... Evelyn lasted only 10 minutes in the nursery! :(

Have a great week!

XO

Anonymous said...

I liked your leadership style ... you were decisive and yet open to opinion. Wonderful job.
Joyce

Jenni Clayville said...

it's probably better that you didn't go to women's retreat because all of us,and I mean ALL, talked about you ALL weekend...

with you there... it would have been awkward.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH... I missed you.

Anonymous said...

Good folk! ... Nice ... AmyE