Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It’s Official

 

homeschool cartoon

We've ordered the books, taken the placement tests, set up the space...


We are officially a homeschooling family

.
Writing silently makes me excited, slightly cringe, sweat profusely, and breathe a sigh of relief.


Explanation: Caleb's school closed this past end of school year for lack of $$ - great school, loved it there and he did really well. I was already planning to homeschool Micah for several reasons for Kindergarten (mostly b/c he is young for his class and I didn't want to send him to all day kindergarten - nor pay for it - when a lot of the afternoon is rest time...he can do that at home for free).

I spent roughly 10+ hours on the road each week getting both boys back and forth between schools last year - it ran me into the ground and just totally stunk for Levi having to be in the car that much. Luckily he was a happy car seat baby so it wasn't too much of an issue.


Starting out this year I am nervous. I don't want to screw up my kids.at.all. Well, more than I already have. smile.


Starting out this year I am excited. They are thrilled to be staying home. They love being home. Their happiest days are the days we don't go anywhere. They are homebodies and really love being together. The days they don't - that's what makes me nervous - time seems to stand still those days. I'm praying those are few and far between.


So, if you think about it - say a little prayer for me come September as I take on this new role. The kids are thrilled and can't wait to start...I hope I live up to the expectations they have for it being a great "thing". I've committed to the year...God will hopefully clearly show me if we are supposed to continue beyond that.

 

Oh and a side note…I am bound an determined not to raise “those homeschooled kids”…you know the ones I am talking about…the ones that stick out like a sore thumb. Please tell me if you see us spiral in that direction. Be a friend. Please.

11 comments:

Megan said...

The last sentence made me laugh! I don't think its possible, they have too great of parents! :) I know we've talked about never wanting to homeschool before, but considering your choices...I really think you are doing the right thing and admire you for it! :) Good luck, you will definately be in our prayers!

Seth said...

Wooo! Be prepared to get a lot of "Why?" questions. Did you ever read "When You Rise Up"? Good ammo.

Oh, and our son's no weirder than his parents. Take that for what you will.

Jos said...

so.... when they start wearing high-waters and speaking in only pig latin, I have your permission to say something?? Just kidding!!

Seriously, though, I truly admire you. I don't have the the patience or discipline for doing that! And think of how less hectic life will be!!

Jos said...

and, oh my gosh. I ended every sentence in my first post with an exclamation point... I MUST be excited for you!

Lisa said...

You have to keep us updated via your blog - I am excited to see how it goes. We will be praying for you in September!

Heasleye said...

Good for you! :)
We are getting involved with a once-a-week co-op this year. They meet on Tuesdays at Evergreen Christian Center...three Tuesdays on and then one off for field trips. We're looking forward to that. I'll probably be ordering my goodies and books this week.
Have fun! :)

Elaine

Jenn said...

Good luck to you! The last line made me laugh too.

Stephanie said...

Good for you, Laura!! I'm with Jos.. dont think I could do it.. although I have a few years to change my mind!

I will certainly be praying for you and the boys. You'll do great!

Carrie Peeples said...

I was a homeschooled! We never wanted to be the homeschooled kids either so tried to remain under the radar. But good for you!! I might be asking questions when it comes time to put my kid(s) in school. We're undecided about the best form of education. Oh, and on the days when they don't want to be home it's a great time for a "field trip" to a friends house where they can have a day off and play together. It's okay to do that, give you and the kids a day off. We LOVED our field trips days that mom would sometimes surprise us with.

Laura said...

thanks for all your encouragement and prayers..SO appreciate them. I'll probably need to vent/share more about this process as we dive in.

Anonymous said...

You're going to do great! And you definitely will not ruin your kids. Our homeschooling year was a sweet one .. and I would have done it again had I felt called to it. AmyE