Saturday, July 25, 2009

Is Chivalry dead?

To Costco we went…after swimming lessons. 2 dripping boys and 1 that really needed a nap and was not happy after being cooped up during brothers’ lessons.

I had 1 think to get…a table and chair set for the kids. It’s a good sized table and 4 chairs that we’re going to use for school this year. It came in 3 large boxes…I asked for help getting the boxes. Some nice young man came and helped me with the large box rolling cart to the checkout. Then he left me. Left me with my own shopping cart with 3 kids hanging in and another large cart.

Ummm..excuse me? I only have 2 arms…..

NO ONE offered to help me out.

I made Caleb push the monster shopping cart with Levi & Micah in it and reminded him that pushing it into people was not a great idea. I tool the cart with the boxes in it and away we went.

Got to the van – several people walked by us heading into Costco – and no one offered to help as a young mom and her 7 year old try to get the HEAVY box into the back of the van. They just watched us and kept walking. I tried to look pathetic..in need of help. I even went to ask someone and they started walking faster and wouldn’t make eye contact with me.

We only dropped the table box twice – thank goodness for Styrofoam packing.

To all those who walked by me…HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF THE STORY OF THE GOOD SAMARITAN???? :)

Now to visit my chiropractor…maybe I should take Caleb too! :)

5 comments:

Melinda said...

What a tough haul to manage and keep the kids safe! I am AMAZED that a Costco employee was not called to help you at, as you checked out at the register!

Stephanie said...

I just make it a point to ASK at Costco check out for help if I need it. I have always had positive experieces with that. Sorry it wasn't so with you today.. and I am glad you made it work! Nice work, momma!!

Great to chat yesterday, too!!

xo

Heasleye said...

Wow! What is with people? Glad you managed to wrestle it in!

A table for school...does this mean you're homeschooling? :)

I thought of you the other day when my friend and I were running and were nearly taken out by a maniacal dog. It nearly scared the pee out of us, and of course the owner laughed and said, "She won't hurt you!" And we would know that how? By the fact that she wasn't restrained, was baring her teeth, charging us and growling and barking like crazy? We were going down the sidewalk in front of her house and the dog came out of nowhere in the front yard. I'm sure we made quite the sight, shrieking and running, but I really didn't appreciate the owner's attitude. Although I was thankful he was there.

Megan said...

That's ridiculous!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I had the same question as Elaine! Do tell ... :-) I love reading your blogs .. makes me feel a little connected with you. So sorry you are all sick. AmyE