A few months ago, we did a series at our church where we asked people to write a short essay on a specific thing that they hold to be true..that changes how they “do life”. I was asked to write one on being a mother. Just ran across this again…was going to post awhile back and forgot..so, here it is now!
I believe God gives you the family that you need, not the family that you want.
When I became a mother 7 years ago, I was fully convinced, and still am to this day that God is ultimately concerned with each of us as individuals, and for that reason he graced me with my firstborn Caleb, then Micah and now Levi. If you would have asked me 7 years ago what I believed the framework of our family would look like, I would have told you that we would have our oldest son then I was sure we would have girls. I always wanted a little girl and was sure that God would fulfill that dream for me.
When little BOY number 3 came along I was tested in really living what I said I believed. Could I really, fully embrace this child because his gender wasn't what I expected or wanted? (Just so you know…I can and did…am so in love with Levi it’s amazing!!!) I believe that each of my kids is designed uniquely and challenges me to become a better person and mom. However, when everything didn't turn out like I expected it to, I had to really swallow and hold true to that ideal. This changed how I lived each day. Rather than dwelling on what I didn't get, I have been able to see what it is God has waiting for me. I live each day thanking God for my sons, despite the sweaty, smelly, burping competitive little things there are. These are the boys who I get to help mold and shape into young men with high morals and values and teach them how to respectfully treat women and someday be an amazing husband. I am excited to see whether my daughters-in-law someday really need a mom figure in their life and I will be so thrilled to be there for them. Maybe God isn't done with our family yet. Maybe this is the family that I need to be shaped into the woman God wants me to be. I believe God gave me my boys because I truly need them in my life for His work to be made complete in me.
3 comments:
That was amazing Laura! You touched the heart of it!
Thanks for posting that Laura. Well said, so true, and very inspiring!
i just 'stumbled' across your blog, via amandas. thank you for this post! i, too, am blessed with 3 little men. i remember like it was yesterday when the doctor told us our jackson was a boy!! i was SO sure he would be a SHE. mentally and emotionally he WAS a she. however,there isn't a day that goes by, since that moment i laid my eyes on him, that i would change. somedays of course, i wish they smelled better and were a little less LOUD. :) but God, in His goodness KNEW that i probably couldn't handle the girl drama. so again, thank you for this post. it was such a great reminder!!
Post a Comment