Sunday, May 9, 2010

Real Life

Much of my life is mundane, much of my life is routine, much of my life lacks excitement.

One thing I do, just for me, is that I RUN.

I run: to stay in shape, to get out of the house, to have time that is for ME alone, to relieve stress, to stay healthy, to keep my emotions in check, to pray.

I look forward to working out. I’m kind of a cardio junkie. I have just ( in the past 5-6 months) really gotten into strength training and have liked the change of pace that brings and the new muscles that helps me find :)..ok, let’s be real..I like that on most days. The days when I wondered if I can get Levi out of bed…not so much on those days.

I try to run at least 2 races each year. I would really like to do the full marathon this fall (or any fall, for that matter) but A. I keep having kids, or B. I get hurt (dropping a full can of paint on the top of my foot last year while training…kinda puts a crimp in the training plan). Anyhoo…back to races…IMG00311-20100508-1059

My friend and I signed up for the Hippie Chick Half Marathon which we ran yesterday. However, this past week was when my real life made it hard. I got sick. Like SICK, on the couch, kids put in a movie and I don’t care how much you watch or eat for that matter SICK. Killer sore throat, fever, body aches, sinus pain…the whole sha bang.   

Not the best leading up to a race week. I had decided on Thursday after still running a fever that I wasn’t going to run the half marathon. I would do the option to run the quarter marathon. It exhausted me to climb up the stairs…there was no way I could run. I didn’t run any of my tapering runs except trying to run a bit Tuesday and I got so dizzy I quit. Friday I felt a little better but was NOT race ready. Saturday came…race day….the whole family got up early and we went.

I ran. I ran to run, not to race. IMG00306-20100508-0958

I didn’t know going into it how far I would run. I felt pretty good. I didn’t worry about my time, I never checked my Nike+  to see my pace time. 

I ran the half-marathon. I felt pretty good and I ran just to run. It felt great to take the pressure off of myself and give myself a break because real life had taken over.

 

Hippie Chick 2011…here I come!!

some pics of my(I’ve got the pink hat…black vest)  run…and my cheering section! :)

IMG00307-20100508-1009IMG00303-20100508-0915IMG00310-20100508-1021

 IMG00302-20100508-09011

No comments: