Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What I’ve learned….

After an email this morning from my good friend, Amy, I was challenged to put into words what I feel I’ve taken away from this little no Facebook for 40 days thing…

Here’s what I have learned so far:

* if you put your house on the market during this experiment it isn’t so hard to give it up. I haven’t had much extra time.

* if you aren’t already spending large quantities of time in the study and quiet of God’s Word, giving up Facebook will not magically fix that.

* I spent the first week not on Facebook living my life in “status updates”. Things would happen and I automatically form them into short, sweet, funny little  updates. SCARY.

* most of my friends don’t blog near as much. Updates on their lives, friends’ adoptions, family news, etc, seems to happen exclusively on Facebook

* I feel very disconnected. The pleaser in me wants to “just check quick” to make sure no one has messaged me and I’ve been ignoring them.

* It hasn’t really helped me prepare for Easter. My heart and soul don’t feel refreshed or rejuvenated by the experience.  It’s more a heart condition (while this can be affected by what I do with my time) and not a Facebook side affect.

Goals:

1) to make a much larger effort to stay in touch with people with snail mail cards and email. Maybe even a phone call…but I find with the very few moments I have of quiet it’s hard to find a time to chat with people in this season of toddlerhood and homeschooling

2) to get in the Word…nitty gritty…IN THE WORD more.

I want my relationships to be real, not virtual. I want my relationship with Christ to be relational and active. These are not unreasonable goals. These are not unattainable goals. In this, and every stage, of life my relationship with Christ is vital. Most important. If my time gives me just that, i need that to be enough.

Maybe I need to settle for virtual friendships when the reality of actual face-to-face time is almost non-existent??

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Mama Mimi said...

Even though I'm not giving anything up for lent...I feel like many of those points I could have written myself. Scary is right. As I pray for myself in these areas, I will pray for you too! Love you sis! =)

Mark and Sarah said...

Though breaking from FB hasn't left you rejuvenated, I sense that it's given you greater perspective on your priorities. I just sent you an email :)

Amy said...

And it took me 3 days to figure out that you had posted something new ... so just reading this now. Obviously, ditto! If I were on FB, I'd just link to your post ... and say my thoughts, exactly. :-)