Monday, September 10, 2007

Solitude

Do you ever crave solitude?

I never have...and then I had kids!!!

My wonderful husband took both our boys camping this weekend for a father/son campout. They left Friday evening and returned Sunday afternoon. They went with another father/son from our care group.

This gave me solitude...quietness...like I haven't had in years...seriously.

Here was my all day Saturday run-down

7am - wake up
7:30 - breakfast/scrapbook
8:30 - running
10:00 - Leave for Woodburn outlets
10am-1:30pm - casually stroll through the outlet mall without a stroller or diaper bag, did not have to visit every potty in every store, nor did I have to hand our sugar-coated treats to maintain civility while shopping.
1:30-5pm - scrapbook while watching "The Parent Trap"
5:30-6:30pm - dinner with friend Jeannie & her little guy Carson (her hubby was with my boys camping)
7pm-10pm - scrapbook & spiritually, mentally, & musically prepare for worship on Sunday

I decided to do nothing that involved my normal "mom" chores. No cooking, cleaning, washing, folding, vacuuming, ironing, etc.

I am paying the price for that decision today...but for that glorious day (which I really missed all my boys during) I had solitude. I couldn't believe how much time I spend alone in my house with no talking/music/or interaction of anytime. 6 years ago that would have driven me CRAZY...what a difference now!

Here's a picture of the boys camping

2 comments:

Jenni Clayville said...

Don't you love that?

Brian lets me go away for a weekend every now and then JUST for this reason. Granted... I let him go off and do that too.

Sometimes, I just lay in bed for a whole day... SERIOUSLY!

Jen
www.jenniclayville.com

Melinda said...

. . . and what both you and Jenni do well is make it clear to your spouses how appreciated the gift of that time is!

I affirm Jenni's noting that dads/husbands need the time away, too.

Great parenting and marriage topic, Laura!