Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Honesty in children

I love when my kids are honest with me...sometimes though, I wish they had some tact too!

Background info:

Caleb is super into drawing. He is a really good artist for his age and does a good job. He, unfortunately, should live with Jenni Clayville as he is very OCD. He has a picture in his head that he is trying to draw, but it doesn't always translate to the paper as it should - in his opinion.

Clint is an amazing artist...the guy can draw ANYTHING and he can draw it well. Caleb usually has a list of animals he wants Clint to draw in the evening and Clint always pulls through with the most perfect drawing you could imagine. Caleb then takes these pictures to school and shows them to his friends and his teacher...they all "ooh" & "aah" over them.

I can not draw..I can not draw stick people, animals, etc. The whole "artist" thing was strictly music in my case. Caleb is often mortified at the pathetic thing that might end up on the paper if I make an attempt.

Fast forward to this week...I'm sitting on the couch with Caleb just chatting about lots of stuff.

Our conversation:

C - "Mom, do you think you could draw something for me on a piece of paper?"

Me - "Why would you want me to do that? You never like what I draw?"

C- "Well, you know those drawings that dad has done for me that I've showed my friends at school? They all think he is a really good draw-er"

Me - "He is good at drawing honey. God made daddy good at some things and mommy good at some things"

C- "I'd like you to draw me a picture so I can show all my friends at school just how terrible you really are at drawing. I've been telling them, but I want them to see"

Did he really need to tell me why? At least I got a good laugh out of it! :)

6 comments:

Jenni Clayville said...

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! I am still laughing at that!

I'd love for him to come live with me. :)

Katie said...

I think that it is so funny, I know you had told me the story before you blogged it, but I still started to laugh when I read it again. I love Caleb he is just such a Black and White child.

Kristin said...

Out of the mouths of babes :-)

Too, too funny! k~

Vintage Dutch Girl said...

Oh, feel the love! I can just see him saying that with a serious look on his face :) So much for tact....
Amanda

Stephanie said...

Oh, Laura, honey... that TOTALLY made my night!! I will be laughing at that for a long time!!

Nice to have you blogging more!!

XO

Anonymous said...

Have him take a cd of you singing to show that you DO have talent!!

-- Jos