Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Weekend of Firsts...



We enjoyed our first Care Group Retreat in Hood River, OR this past weekend. We spent 2 nights all together in a great cabin in the woods. We played games, talked, ate A LOT, and just enjoyed hanging out together. One things I learned is that I am in the minority in our group in regards to games. I enjoy games of luck and chance...ones that you don't have to think too hard to play. I love to play Cranium, Phase 10, Taboo, etc...Most everyone else thrives on playing games like Settlers of Catan, Risk, Cities & Knights, etc...These make my head spin. Am I in the minority among my other friends too?


We also tried snowshoeing for the first time which was a lot of fun. Clint & I also stayed a little longer and cross-country skied for a little while on the way home. The snow was coming down like crazy and if you look carefully on the picture of Clint's hat you can see that the flakes looked like pretend snow flakes. You could see the star-like pattern...they were gorgeous!

The other big first was that Caleb lost his first tooth this weekend! We missed it, but our babysitter came through as the tooth fairy for us! If you're wondering what the going rate is these days....Caleb informed us that a kid in his class got $5 from the tooth fairy...we told him our tooth fairy is from a poorer neighborhood.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post. Jealous of your care group. Too fun.
Jay

Anonymous said...

1. the new format is beeeeeuuuteeeeful!

2. I agree with you on the games thing.

3. Tooth fairy at our house brings one dollar. BUT, if the tooth fairy falls asleep and forgets to leave said dollar, the rate goes up another dollar for each day missed.

4. Snowshoeing looks WAAAAY fun!

Anonymous said...

Shoot!! I forgot!

5. Cabel looks just like Micah in that pic!!

Stephanie said...

I TOTALLY agree with you on the game thing. Heck, sometimes Uno is too much for me! :)

Who gives $5 for a tooth.... its a TOOTH!! Sheesh! I thought a quarter was plenty. What will the rate be when Evelyn loses her first? I am scared! :)

Glad you had a nice weekend!

XO

Melinda said...

Beautiful new look for your blog!

I enjoy interaction games (like you described), especially ones that don't require remembering and strategizing. I spend all day every day in detail/planning mode. I do not enjoy that as a form of recreation. My favorites are ones like the Un-Game, that allow a group to get to know each other better or just cause laughter. Our kids wrote a game like that for our 25th anniversary party and it was a blast!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, I HATE strategy games. You're not supposed to think when you're playing a game. You're supposed to talk and be social!

Alison