Isn’t that what we as moms are always trying to create? At what point did that become such a BURDEN that so many feel? Last year at our church we did Advent Conspiracy and we are following the same idea again this year.
Last year we had an interesting December. Looking back, there’s some I would rather forget happened, however, there was a lot of good. When I think back to the good, it did not involve presents (although I did like what I received :) but mostly involved time spent together. Snowbound with the kids was just magical…we traveled to Eastern Washington to see Clint’s brother married…saw the hand of God in the timing of our travel as we were spared between storms with our time on the road..Packed food boxes at church with the kids for the needy during the snowstorm…we traveled up North to spend the week of Christmas with families and got even more snow! It was an eventful month with a lot of traveling, but the kids remember the TIME that we spent together SO MUCH more than the gifts we gave them.
That’s what it is all about. Giving of our time, friendship, love, compassion, and extra (and sometimes not-so-extra) resources to help those in need.
It really didn’t matter that we never got the lights up on the house or that I didn’t decorate how I wanted to last year. It IS nice this year to be home most of the month. We have the lights on the house, the trees are up, the house is decorated to my liking and I get the feeling of warmth and coziness when I sit in my house late at night or early in the morning by just the lights on the tree.
But I would have to say, my boys are going to remember us drinking hot apple cider SITTING by the tree singing Christmas songs all together, more than the toy they get UNDER that same tree.
Here’s to a Christmas where we:
WORSHIP FULLY
SPEND LESS
GIVE MORE
LOVE ALL
Give the gift of your PRESENCE this year. To your kids, your grandkids, your siblings, your friends, your neighbors, the needy down the street and across the globe!
Happy December!
3 comments:
So true. Adding children to the mix has made us want to be home more and cherishing that TIME together.
I agree, last year was rather...um....interesting for us. Actually, the last THREE Christmas seasons have been incredibly crazy and stressful for our family.
We are looking forward to keeping it simple and remember the REASON for the season!(cliche, but so fitting!)
I'm so thankful for all of you! I'm praying that all of us can have a very memorable year, filled with the joy of knowing the reason for the season...my sign is daily reminding me "The greatest gift of all was never placed beneath a tree, but laid within a manger, for all the world to see"...and please, Lord, for this year, no vomit, snot, ear infections, coughs, teething, rashes....it would make it so much more enjoyable....your will, not mine!
Post a Comment